Sunday, 15 July 2012


I don't know if you remember but ages ago I posted a picture of a chair from our living room that I was planning on recovering. Here it is before:

Well, with one thing and another it kept getting put off, despite having bought the fabric for it. This morning I was teaching a felting workshop and as we got home afterwards with no real plans for anything else, I suggested popping to Dunelm Mill for some foam for the cushions.

Now I have to admit that the old cushions are in a much worse state than above so there was no chance of me unpicking them to make a pattern. In the end I decided to basically draw around them with a bit extra for a seam allowance and cut on the fold to get both sides pretty much even.

At this point I realised I had totally overestimated the amount of fabric I'd need - seriously I measured before buying it but the fabric must have been wider than I thought (I looked at quite a few before buying so probably mixed it all up) as I've only used about half of what I bought!

So I did the sewing and then had to cut the foam, which was a trial in itself, not to mention actually getting the foam inside the fabric. After much squashing and pushing and removing and trimming and more shoving, with much help from the husband, we finally got them in. So just had to sew up the back/bottom of each cushion.

Now you might be wondering why I haven't put zips in...tbh when I started sewing them up I had that thought too. There isn't really any reason for me not to, I just did them how the previous ones were done. Of course my machine struggled to sew and it needed Mr CnC to do some squishing and pushing while I did some lining up and pushing.

After much swearing and two injured fingers (one from the machine, one from a pin)...

the chair now looks like THIS:

It's far from perfect but it looks a bit cleaner than the old cushions.

No comments:

Post a Comment