Monday 2 September 2013

Great Northern Quilt Show - The Quilts (2)

This follows on from yesterday's post. I didn't want it to get too long so thought I'd split it over two posts. I took photographs of the following quilts purely because of their quilting. If you've been following my blog you'll know that I have been practicing my free motion quilting and am planning on using it for my robot quilt. I've been paying close attention to the quilting at quilt shows for this reason.

Amethyst Arcs by Rosemary Archer caught my eye for the lovely arcs surrounding some of the stars.


Greek Fossils by Ferret also caught my eye. This time it was because it was made up of feathers and I really struggled with quilting feathers. They are far more tricky to 'draw' than they look!

Dragon 1 by Ferret was one of those quilts that was basically a stunning piece of art. From what I could tell it was a dragon drawn using different colour threads for the quilting. I loved how the quilting gave the right texture for a dragon too.

A close up of the quilting

The colours of Prometheus by Ferret were lovely. I love purples and pinks.

And the one I've saved for last is Nebula by Christine Marriage. I love the teal and brown colours, in fact I remember buying a charm pack in similar colours that I haven't used yet. I also love big areas of white in heavily quilted quilts. I loved how I was drawn to the spiral in the centre (sorry it doesn't show up as well on the photo).

But the thing I loved most about this quilt was the sheer variety of quilting. Using lots of different patterns is something I'm hoping to do on my robot quilt. Of course I don't expect mine to look anything near as good as this one!


Coming up in the next post I'll reveal my purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment