In case anyone was wondering what has happened to Herman, I thought I'd do an update. We were away Easter weekend so we took Herman with us (he had to be stirred everyday) and I was meant to split it on the Monday then cook something with it on the Tuesday.
I tried my best to give the 4 extra portions to my family but none of them would take it. They seem to think spending 10 days looking after cake mixture is madness (well, ok, maybe they have a point there...I did take it on holiday with me after all).
With being away and not getting back until late I also wasn't able to give any away to anyone we know down here. So, thinks I, never mind....more cake for us. I had the best of intentions on Tuesday but discovered I had a teeny amount of self-raising flour left so couldn't make anything.Never mind, I've been baking this morning after stirring the mixture for a few extra days.
The second recipe I followed was for the Double Chocolate cake. I didn't have any chocolate chips or chopped nuts so I used chocolate buttons instead. I'm slightly worried that the cake is actually totally stuck to the tin despite much greasing beforehand.
The first recipe I made, which took longer to cook and so ended up being photographed second, is a Fruit Cake. I have to say, it certainly smells lovely.
Again I didn't have all the ingredients it suggested so I did my best with what I had. It has currants and dried cranberries in.
We'll see what they taste like this evening when my husband gets in from work, unless I get too tempted by the chocolate cake.